The weekend will start with check in at Mabie House for 9.30am on day one. The group will then be transported by minibus to Shambellie House which is just 5 minutes away. Following a welcome refreshment, introductions and outline for the weekend, you will depart for day one from Shambellie House, being transported by minibus with your tutor Allan. Throughout the day you will be visiting different locations, learning new skills and sharing ideas. Lunch will be informal and eaten amongst the beautiful scenery that Dumfries and Galloway has to offer.
You will return to Shambellie late afternoon for refreshments and to make use of the Digital Suite with input from your tutor before being transported back to Mabie House Hotel for dinner, chosen from the menu which includes a wide range of local produce , served at approximately 7.30 – 8 pm.
Day two will start with a sunrise photoshoot, returning to the hotel for breakfast around 9.30am. There will be a break for breakfast and a short relax if you need one before checking out of the hotel and stopping off at Shambellie to set up for the day ahead. We will then set off again, visiting more handpicked locations in the local area and eating lunch in another beautiful spot as you relax and enjoy the scenery and company.
You will return to Shambellie House mid-afternoon, finishing the weekend with a session at Shambellie House to edit and then print your favourite image from your shots.
What you can expect from the course:
In the field:
- A broad engagement with the craft, offering equal emphasis on creativity and practicality.
- Developing the power and receptivity of the seeing eye.
- Encouragement and guidance to tap into the “inner artist” we all have.
- Appreciating and harnessing the power of natural / ambient light.
- The importance of composition and its role in revealing the inherent subject.
- Simplifying how to be at ease with the camera and the technical options offered.
- Guidance on reading, navigating and understanding landform and nature to shorten the odds of an improved strike rate.
In the Digital Suite:
Tuition in the digital suite will involve editing sessions at approximately (weather dependent) 50% of course content. Emphasis will be on the importance of distilling the best from a shoot for subsequent correction and enhancement for maximum image quality / enjoyment.